Monday, July 13, 2009

First Post and Day 1 of week 1- C25K

So, why the name? Because I spend most of my spare lazy time, sleeping. That's right, sleeping. My lack of energy and motivation leads me to my comfy bed. Ask anyone I know. If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably napping. I get slack for it a lot.

But seriously, I am no means a runner. Not even a jogger or even a walker. My doctor thinks I have exercise induced asthma, but I just call it FAS...aka "fat ass syndrome". I'm out of shape...that's why I feel like someone is strangling me every time I attempt a run like workout.

Let me start by taking you back, about a year ago. Last summer I had heard wonders about this "Couch to 5k" program that everyone was raving about. I mean people twice my size were doing this workout and becoming runners and (and this is the key) ENJOYING IT. What was wrong with these people? So one day I decided that my FI (at the time) and I would go to the lake with our ipods and try it out. BIG MISTAKE.

Half way through (with my FI way ahead of me and pissing me off--show off!!) I started to get that dry throat-gasping for breath effect that always happens to me. Not only that, my fingers and feet were numb and my fingers had swelled SO much that I couldn't get my rings off (for a good hour). I cried...hard. Not only was I embarrassed but I was scared that I was THAT out of shape. So what did I do? I gave up.

Now here I am after yo-yo'ing around with my weight...and I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I just got married a month ago and yes, I was the heaviest I had ever been at my wedding. I think I topped the scale at 180 pounds and I'm 5'6"... and I have never been so upset with myself. I had lost control. Even after the wedding, I couldn't STOP eating...even when I was trying to be mindful of it. The fridge or the pantry ALWAYS won.

Now, this sounds reallly dumb..but I started watching the show "So You Think You Can Dance" and holy hell how jealous I am of their bodies. Damn them!! But, I've never been so inspired to take control of my body back. So, Friday..I buckled down and dusted off my Windsor Pilates DVD and did the 20 minute workout. No big deal right?? WRONG...all day Saturday and Sunday I was sore as EVER...for TWENTY measly minutes. Absolutely ridiculous. So I decided to try and restart the C25K program. I grabbed my 1980s ipod shuffle and hit the gym today...and I FINISHED IT!! :) All 30 freaking minutes. I have never been so proud of myself.

The key was...I went at my own pace. I went from 3.5-4.6mph and while for some that may seem super slow...it's what I had to do. I bet you $10 I'm going to be sore tomorrow again. I want to start really slow (to avoid EIA attacks) and work up my stamina and speed. I am using the DJ Beatsmith Pod Runner Intervals which you can download for free on itunes here. (link will open your itunes app). You can find the original version of C25K at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

No comments: