Friday, August 14, 2009

W4 D2...what a doozie!!

Ok, I always do this. I think I'm on the up and up when clearly I'm not. Mother nature brought me her gift this morning and we had a heavy dinner (thanks Bertolli!!). We rested for an hour and then hit the gym (yes, on a Friday night!!). I'm having to like, drag Alan to the gym with me. He's always the one to be like "I don't feel good" but then always caves in at the last minute when I threaten to go without him...haha.

So we get to the gym and I'm feelin pretty good...and of course there is someone on one of the treadmills but not the glorious window one!! So I take that one and the stupid competitiveness gets the best of me. I tried to match the pace of the guy next to me. I think he was going 5.5 (I tried to peek but the glare on the monitor makes it hard). So I thought, for sure, I could go at 5.0 at least the first two intervals. And you know what??? I DID!!!! but it came with its consequences unfortunately. =/

So I did a 3 minute and then a 5 minute interval at 5.0 and when the next 3 minute interval came I went back to my comfort zone at 4.8 because I was reallllly feeling it. Mostly in my legs and a cramp in my right foot (how annoying!!) and then I started to get that "full" feeling from eating the heavy meal...NOT a good feeling when you're bouncing up and down gasping for air...lol. So then comes that last damn 5 minute interval and I started at 4.8 and HAD to cut it back to 4.6...I honestly wasn't going to make it...and I didn't. lol. I had to drop back to walking about halfway through the last 5 minute interval. FAIL!!!!

Well, not really...it just proves that I'm in the right place and I KNOW what my right pace is. I feel like it's ok to test the waters and push yourself..but not to the point where you can't complete the intervals. The last day this week (Sunday) I will definitely do 4.8 all across the board. If I can't complete it like that (which I SHOULD be able to), I'll have to repeat this week. Week 5 has you doing three different workouts (a different workout for each day) so I have to be prepared for that. I haven't seen what I'm up against but I'll do a "prepare" post probably Sunday night. I don't want to look now and psych myself out too much if I go ahead and plan to start week 5 on Tuesday. My schedule next week regardless, is going to be T/TH/Sat according to my work schedule. It's amazing what a measly 0.2 mph can do to you!!! ugh!!! I will get there though! Right now completing the workouts is more important than competing with myself (or other runners who might be next to you!) lol.

BTW, I did 2.14 miles in about 31 minutes...It's weird because the podcast is for a 29 minute workout but he talks for like at least two minutes in the beginning, so there is an extra 2 minutes of me just walking. And AGAIN, I forgot to take pictures of the new gym AND my monitor. Sunday, I'm going to make a point of it!!!

4 comments:

Soon to be Mrs. K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soon to be Mrs. K said...

I'm sorry to hear work has been so stressful. I know it can't be easy to see things like that. I know it's not really the same, but I worked at a vet for a few years and it got easier with time. Your're strong so I know you can do it!

Soon to be Mrs. K said...

Ugh...I need to go to bed. That should be you're.

Jessica said...

Great job making it 2.1! I know the workouts are getting hard, but you are definitely getting there! Keep it up! The 5k will be here before we know it